The 21 members of York Regional Council set policies, direction and budgets for The Regional Municipality of York.
In York Region, members of Regional Council are chosen by voters in what is termed a "double direct" form of election. That is, a successful candidate for the office of Mayor or Regional Councillor in a municipality earns a seat on both local and Regional Council for four years.
The Chair of Regional Council is elected at large by the members of Regional Council at their inaugural meeting and also serves a four-year term.
Most of Council's work is done through standing committees and task forces. Committee members receive public input, review policies and consider staff reports, then recommend actions to Regional Council.
Council usually meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9:30 a.m. However, for the official Council and Committee meeting dates, please go to the following link: Calendar.
York Regional Council for the Term 2010-2014
York Region Chairman and CEO: Bill Fisch
Members of Regional Council:
(with links to the Municipality websites)
- Mayor Geoffrey Dawe
- Mayor Virginia Hackson
- Mayor Robert Grossi
- Regional Councillor Danny Wheeler
- Mayor Steve Pellegrini
- Mayor Frank Scarpitti
- Regional Councillor Jack Heath
- Regional Councillor Gordon Landon
- Regional Councillor Jim Jones
- Regional Councillor Joe Li
- Mayor A.J. (Tony) Van Bynen
- Regional Councillor John Taylor
- Mayor David Barrow
- Regional Councillor Vito Spatafora
- Regional Councillor Brenda Hogg
- Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua
- Regional Councillor Gino Rosati
- Regional Councillor Michael Di Biase
- Regional Councillor Deb Schulte
- Mayor Wayne Emmerson