In November 2009, The Regional Municipality of York (York Region) completed the Water and Wastewater Master Plan Update, which identified the requirement for a water storage facility to serve community located in the Aurora East Pressure District. The Aurora East Water Storage Facility will provide emergency, fire and equalization storage for the Aurora East Pressure District.
York Region has initiated a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment Study (Class EA) for this project under Schedule 'B' of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (October 2000, as amended in 2007). The purpose of the Class EA is to identify the configuration as well as the most suitable location for the water storage facility. This Class EA will include an evaluation of environmental, social and cultural conditions as well as an assessment of the technical feasibility of the alternative water storage solutions.
The study area to determine the most suitable location for the water storage facility includes the Aurora East Pressure District and is bounded by Bayview Avenue, Highway 404, Wellington Street East and the Aurora-Newmarket Municipal boundary, as shown in the figure below.
Project Schedule Below is a tentative schedule for the Class EA Study:
- Notice of Commencement published in local newspapers Winter 2010
- Notice of Commencement sent to Agencies, Stakeholders, First Nations and Local Land Owners Winter 2010
- Technical Committee Meetings and Agency/Stakeholder Meetings Spring 2011
- Identification of Preferred Storage Methodology and Preferred Site Spring 2011
- Public Consultation Centre November 30, 2011. Notice of Study Completion published in local newspapers February 2012
- 30-day Review Period for the Class Environmental Assessment Report Fall 2011