The Aurora East Water Storage Facility Class Environmental Assessment study (Class EA) is proceeding in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment document (October 2000, as amended in October 2007).
Since projects undertaken by municipalities can vary in their complexity and potential environmental impacts, projects are classified in terms of schedules as follows:
• Schedule A • Generally includes normal or emergency operational and maintenance
activities. The environmental effects of these activities are usually
minimal and, therefore, these projects are pre-approved.
• Schedule A+ • These projects are pre-approved; however the public is to be advised
prior to project implementation.
• Schedule B • Generally includes improvements and minor expansions to existing
facilities or projects that will be constructed in areas that have already
been developed. There is the potential for some adverse environmental
impacts and, therefore, the proponent is required to proceed through
• Typical projects that follow a Schedule B process will include projects
requiring watercourse crossings, construction of watermains and sewers
outside of existing road allowances, construction of pumping stations
• Schedule C • Generally includes the construction of new facilities and major
expansions to existing facilities.
• Typical projects that follow the Schedule C process include the expansion
of existing or construction of new water and sewage treatment facilities.
The Aurora East Water Storage Facility EA is being conducted as a 'Schedule B' project, which includes reviews with the public and relevant agencies prior to implementation. The Class EA will satisfy the requirements and procedures of Phases 1 and 2 of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment Planning and Design Process, which are described as follows:
This Class EA will include an evaluation of environmental, social and cultural conditions as well as an assessment of the technical feasibility of the alternative water storage solutions.
Upon completion of the study, the Phase 1 and 2 Environmental Study Report will be available for public review.
A flow chart describing the Class EA Planning and Design Process is shown in the following figure.