As a large and growing city-region,
The Regional Municipality of York plays a pivotal role in the community.
- With 1,084,000 residents, The Regional Municipality of York is the sixth largest Canadian municipality by population.
- At $43 billion, the economy of York Region is larger than the economies of four Canadian provinces.
- 69 per cent of the land is protected green space in the Oak Ridges Moraine and the Greenbelt.
- 43 per cent of York Region residents are immigrants.
- York Region is growing. By 2031, York Region is expected to have 1.5 million residents.
York Region provides a range of services to residents, businesses and stakeholders.
To learn more, please choose from the following links:
- Social Data, Investment and Human Services Planning
Garbage and Recycling
- Waste Management, includes Blue Bin recycling, electronic equipment recycling, Green Bin program, backyard composting, yard waste, household hazardous waste, garbage disposal and more
- includes Community Development, Economic Development, Geomatics, Infrastructure Planning and Long-Range & Strategic Planning
- Includes capital delivery, road operations, approvals and forestry services
- includes York Region Transit (YRT) and Viva Rapid Transit
- Water and Wastewater, includes water conservation, water quality, protecting our drinking water and the collection and treatment of wastewater
Phone contact information:
Local call: 905-895-1231 (Newmarket, central and northern York Region)
Toll free: 1-877-464-YORK (464-9675) (Toll free within Ontario)