Summer Student Employment
York Region hires students for a limited number of summer jobs (from May to August). Students may apply to a general posting from December 13, 2016 to January 13, 2017 for the summer of the next year.
Students applying for a summer student position must:
- Be currently enrolled full time in college, university, or high school and returning to school full time in the fall (There is a limited amount of high school summer student positions)
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada with a social insurance number
- Provide a driver’s abstract at the time of hire showing zero demerit points if you will be driving a vehicle for your job
First preference will be given to students who live in York Region.
How much you are paid will depend on your relevant education and the type of job.
How to Apply - New Students
To apply for a summer student position, you must have a York Region job profile.
If you already have a profile from a previous year, visit the Current Opportunities page and follow the “Apply for this job” link at the bottom of the job posting. Log in to your account and make sure all of the information is up-to-date, particularly the Student applicant profile questions. Then proceed to step 3 below.
To create a new profile:
- Follow the “Apply for this job” link at the bottom of the job posting.
- Enter your email address under “New Applicant” and select “Create Profile”.
- To upload your single application document, save your resume and optional cover letter as a single .doc or .pdf file. Title the document Last name, First name, Summer Student Year (for example Smith, John, Summer Student 2017).
- Upload the document, ensure the “Document is my resume” box is checked and select “Save & Continue”. You should only upload one file for this year’s summer student application.
- Fill out all required fields and select the “I am a Student Applicant” box.
- Fill out all the required fields for students and select “Save & Continue”.
You may verify your application by clicking “My Jobs” in the right hand menu.
If you have technical difficulties with the website, you can call 1-877-427-7717 Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. or email email@example.com.
How to Apply - Returning Students
As a returning student, you do not have to submit an online application. Based on a successful performance appraisal from the previous year, you will be emailed a summer student package in late November that includes:
- A letter outlining the returning student application process
- A mandatory questionnaire and Employment of Relatives declaration form
To be considered you must return your application by the deadline listed in the package.
You will not have to interview unless you are being considered for a different position.
Your job performance from the previous year and the needs of York Region will be considered in your application.
Only students selected for an interview will be contacted.
York Region will conduct interviews either in person or via webcam between January and April. You will be asked for the contact information of two references (supervisors, teachers, professors, or volunteer coordinators).
Successful candidates will need to prove that they are enrolled in school full time and returning full time. Some documents you can use are:
- A registrar’s letter confirming enrollment and academic eligibility for the current and next school year
- A letter or screen shot confirming your anticipated graduation date
- A letter or screen shot showing you have more credits to complete
- A letter or screen shot showing your registration for the current year with a letter or screen shot confirming your application to a future school for the following year
Successful candidates will receive both a verbal and written job offer.
Post-secondary students interested in completing a co-op placement at York Region will receive practical paid experience while earning course credits. Co-op placement opportunities are posted at various educational institutions across Ontario. Please check for co-op job postings with your school’s career centre or respective co-op office.
"York Region has the best EMS service in the province! I am very proud to be part of this service and organization. I love my job because every day has something new and challenging which makes me feel alive!"
Steven Currie, Full Time Primary Care Paramedic, Community and Health Services Department
"I enjoy working with a team of dedicated Customer Service professionals who are engaged in delivering high-quality customer service and public transit for the residents of York Region. My work is always challenging and interesting."
Rosanna Agostino, Manager, Customer Service, Transportation and Community Planning Department
"Working for York Region allows me to grow professionally on many levels as part of a dynamic, forward-thinking organization, while making a real and significant impact in my community."
Robert Unterman, Manager, Investment & Marketing, Office of the CAO
"I love working at York Region because over the last 20 years I have been given the amazing opportunity to accomplish fulfilling work while serving our residents. York Region has provided me with many growth opportunities, all while supporting my philosophy of work/life balance. I don’t know of any other organization that is as committed to their employees’ overall wellness!"
Ghislaine Boulianne, Access & Privacy Officer/Committee Coordinator, Corporate Services Department
"I enjoy working at York Region because I get to care for residents in a safe and clean environment. My part-time position also allows me to maintain a good work-life balance."
Maria Pereira, Part-Time Personal Support Worker, Community and Health Services Department
"Wow – what a great place to work! Having worked at York Region in Human Resources for the past five years, I am constantly amazed by my co-workers and what a tremendous group of people they are. Management has provided me with opportunities to stretch myself in regards to my skills and also experience new things. I am constantly encouraged to seek out new challenges and further develop my skillset, while being given a great amount of autonomy to get the work done. I am supported by both a great team and a knowledgeable supervisor. Working at the Region is both challenging and rewarding for these very reasons."
Mike Kitagawa, HR Consultant, Corporate Services Department
"Working for York Region works for me because the dynamics are interesting. The opportunities are many. The challenges are exciting. The workforce is highly skilled. The work/life balance is refreshing."
Daanish Ahmed, Technical Specialist, Finance Department
"The Regional Municipality of York provides excellent job diversity. It is a place where you never get bored. I started with York Region as a Co-op student 20 years ago and have had numerous training opportunities and the chance to work on a number of initiatives that have enabled me to advance to a management position within the organization. York Region promotes job satisfaction, employee involvement and personal development plans, making it a place you can spend your whole career."
Beth Weir, Manager, Operations, Maintenance and Monitoring, Environmental Services Department
"Working for York Region works for me because I feel valued, respected and trusted. It is a great workplace, embracing creativity, adaption to new and changing situations/demands, and I am committed to my performance."
Ivy Mak, Team Lead Revenue and Expenditure Control, Finance Department
"My tenure with York Region continues to be a positive and rewarding experience. I love working at York Region because it offers many opportunities for growth and development. I also get to work in a fast-paced environment that’s always changing to meet and support the needs of our clients. As our population grows and we become more diverse, York Region continues to strive in providing top customer service to our clients in a professional manner."
Lenet Slater, Social Assistance Case Coordinator II, Community and Health Services Department