Integrated Waste Management Master Plan
The SM4RT Living Plan (Integrated Waste Management Master Plan) identifies more than 60 initiatives that set the stage for waste management in York Region over the next 25 to 40 years. Starting with 32 of these initiatives within the next five years (2014-2018), the focus will be on the 4 Rs: reduce, reuse, recycle and recover; working toward zero waste.
Review current waste systems, policies, programs and innovative global practices
Identify gaps in current standards, resident feedback and establish long-term vision
Integrate lessons learned and create strategies focusing on sustainability and the future
What's in it for You?
A more sustainable future for your family. Here's what we want you to accomplish by 2031:
- 166,000 estimated tonnes of waste reduced in the first 18 years of the plan
- 62,000 estimated tonnes of waste reused in the first 18 years of the plan
View the SM4RT Living plan documents:
- 2014 SM4RT Living Scorecard
- Main Report
- SM4RT Living actions in your community poster
- SM4RT Living At-A-Glance Overview
- SM4RT Living Strategies - highlights
Meet John and Emily and find out how they are making a difference
Meet John and Emily; neighbours living in York Region. John shares with Emily some very interesting facts about the SM4RT Living Plan; a master plan developed to guide York Region over the next 40 years towards a goal of zero waste, focusing on waste reduction, reuse and influencing change.
The success of the SM4RT Living Plan relies on the collaborative efforts with community partners, and resident participation.
To learn more about the plan and how you can get involved, listen in on Emily and John’s conversation in the video below.
- Alternative Financing Strategy
- Blue Box Materials and Monitoring Strategy
- Community Environmental Centres and Public Drop-off Facilities Strategy
- Construction and Demolition Strategy
- Food Waste Reduction Strategy
- Industrial, Commercial and Institutional Strategy
- Leaf, Yard Waste and Composting Strategy
- Mixed Use Strategy
- Multi Residential Waste Strategy
- Curbside Garbage Management Strategy
- Reuse Repair Repurpose Strategy
- Organics Strategy
- 2014 Annual Waste Diversion Report
- 2013 Annual Waste Diversion Report
- 2012 Annual Waste Diversion Report
905-830-4444 Ext. 73000
Site Assessment Inquiries
Active Healthy Communities