Open data is an information movement where organizations release data for free to the public. The data can be used for any purpose, without restriction as part of the public domain. The information can be used, reused and redistributed, as long as it meets York Region’s licence agreement.
As Open Data expands, more data sets will be available. York Region intends to release all data allowable by law.
York Region will not release information that was not legally collected or that infringes on any privacy rights.
Upon downloading this data you have agreed to The Regional Municipality of York's Open Data Licence A
York Region Data uses the data files below. If you have trouble opening a data set, check that you have the right program to open the file.
Shapefile is a vector data format for Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software. A shapefile is actually a set of several files. There are three individual files that are mandatory to store the core data that make up a shapefile. You need to keep all these files together in one place for your data to work properly.
A Geodatabase is a common data storage and management framework used in ArcGIS. It combines "geo" (spatial data) with a "database" structure that allows you to store, query and manage both spatial and non-spatial data.
Keyhole Markup Language (KML)
Keyhole Markup Language is a notation system for geographic information. It was developed for use with browser-based two dimensional maps and three dimensional maps like Google Earth.
Open Data Licence Agreement
You are encouraged to Use and re-use the Information that is available under this licence, freely and flexibly, with only a few conditions.
Using Information Under This Licence
- Your Use of Information indicates Your acceptance of the terms and conditions below
- York Region grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to Use the Information subject to the conditions below
- This licence does not affect any copyright exceptions or limitations available under the Copyright Act (Canada)
You are Free To:
- Copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information
- Adapt the Information
- Use the Information commercially, for example, by combining it with other Information, or by including it in Your own product or application
- Provide credit to York Region when using Information under this licence but are not required to. If You choose to provide credit please acknowledge the source of the Information by including the following credit statement in a suitable location:
"Contains public sector Information made available under The Regional Municipality of York's Open Data Licence".
You Must, Where You do any of the Above:
- Upon the request of York Region, remove any York Region credit statement should York Region, in its sole discretion, decide that such credit is not in the public interest
- Ensure that You do not Use the Information in a way that suggests any official status or that York Region endorses You or Your Use of the Information
- Ensure that You do not misrepresent the Information or its source
- Ensure that Your Use of the Information complies with all applicable laws and is not harmful to others
These are important conditions of this license and if You fail to comply with them the rights granted to You under this license will end automatically.
This licence does not cover the Use of:
- Personal Information
- Information or records that are not accessible pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Ontario)
- Third-party rights that York Region is not authorized to licence, if any
- Public sector organization logos, trademarks, slogans or crests
- The Information is licensed 'as is' and York Region excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities, whether express or implied, in relation to the Information
- York Region does not guarantee that the Information will be available in any particular format nor that the Information will continue to be available
- York Region is not liable for any errors or omissions in the Information and will not, under any circumstances, be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential, or other loss, injury or damage caused by its Use, even if specifically advised of the possibility of such loss, injury or damage
This licence is governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario.
In this licence, the terms below have the following meanings:
"Information" means information protected by copyright that is made available under the terms of this license through The Regional Municipality of York website.
"Personal Information" has the meaning set out in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Ontario).
"Use" means doing any act that is restricted by copyright, whether in the original medium or in any other medium and includes without limitation distributing, copying, adapting, modifying as may be technically necessary to use it in a different mode or format.
"York Region" means The Regional Municipality of York.
"You" or "Your" means the natural or legal person, or body of persons corporate or incorporate, as applicable, acquiring rights under this licence.
About This Licence
York Region wishes to use this licence as a tool to enable the Use and re-use of information under a common open licence. This licence is based upon the the UK Government's Open Government Licence for Public Sector Information and has been adapted with the permission of the UK National Archives.
This is version 1.0 of York Region's Open Data Licence. York Region may, from time to time, issue new versions of its Open Data Licence. However, You may continue to Use Information licenced under this version should You wish to do so. Notices of new versions of York Region's Open Data Licence will be posted at York Region's website.
Emergency Police, Fire or Ambulance