New affordable housing for seniors coming soon at Unionville Commons
York Region is committed to building complete communities with a full range of housing options and services to support residents at all ages and stages of their lives. In partnership with Martinway Development Ltd., new affordable housing for seniors is being constructed at 4310 Highway 7 East in the City of Markham.
Unionville Commons will feature two towers – one with eight-storeys and one with 12-storeys – with 265 apartments for seniors, as well as a ground floor seniors hub and community centre offering seniors-focused services to the community. The building is currently in construction and on track to see its first residents move in by the end of 2023.
- Designed for seniors and universal accessibility
- On-site underground, weather-protected parking
- Short-term surface visitor parking
- Seniors hub and community centre and seniors hub with programming and services
- Indoor and outdoor amenity areas and common spaces for residents
- Outdoor garden and pedestrian walkway
- Green/energy efficient building systems
Watch the video below to take a tour of a one-bedroom unit.
Supporting Age-Friendly Communities
A seniors hub and community centre will be integrated on the main floor of Unionville Commons to provide services that support the health and well-being of residents living in the building and the wider community.
Anticipated to open in early 2024, the seniors hub and community centre will offer a broad range of programs and integrated services accessible to seniors to encourage social participation, wellness and enable residents to age in place. For more information about this project, please see the December 16, 2021 Council Report.
Construction of the new Unionville Commons began in December 2019, with total completion of the project in 2023. Activity on site includes installation of the final windows and staining of the brick on the north side of the building. Work is continuing on the interior of the building. Regular construction activity may result in noise and vibration, the contractor will follow the City of Markham Noise By-law. As construction progresses, we will work to minimize disruption as much as possible. We thank you for your patience throughout this important project.
Watch Unionville Commons take shape in the video below.
- Construction Update Notice - November 2022
- Construction Update Notice – July 2022
- Construction Update Notice - January 2022
- Construction Update Notice - April 2021
- Construction Update Notice - September 2020
A community Liaison Committee, made up of local residents and business owners, meets regularly to provide input and address issues throughout the planning and construction phases.
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee – Wednesday, February 8, 2023
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee – Tuesday, October 25, 2022
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee – Tuesday, July 26, 2022
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee – Wednesday, April 20, 2022
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee – Wednesday, January 26, 2022
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee – Wednesday, September 22, 2021
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee - Wednesday, May 26, 2021
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee - Wednesday, February 10, 2021
- Construction Management Plan Open House - Thursday, April 4, 2019
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee - Thursday, March 21, 2019
- Presentation to Community Liaison Committee - Tuesday, December 18, 2018
- Presentation to Heritage Village and Wyndham Gardens residents - Friday, October 26, 2018
- Presentation to Heritage Village residents - Friday, January 19, 2018
- Presentation to Wyndham Gardens residents - Monday, January 22, 2018
If you would like more information about Housing York’s affordable housing building for seniors in Unionville, please:
- Call Access York at 1-877-464-9675
- Email @email
Applying for a market rent unit
Unionville Commons will include a limited number of market rent units. Housing York will provide market rent application information when the building is close to completion, in 2023. If you are interested in getting information about market rental opportunities in at the new building, please join our subscriber list.