Henderson Sewage Pumping Station - Construction Update
Compound #2 Construction and Microtunnelling on Henderson Drive
The Regional Municipality of York is constructing the new Henderson Sewage Pumping Station in the Town of Aurora. Sewer pipe installation along Henderson Drive is moving ahead. Construction of Compound #1, located near Tamarac Park, is complete and the utilities have been moved. Construction of Compound #2 at Poplar Crescent and Henderson Drive will begin in July 2022. When Compound #2 is complete, the sewer pipe will be installed using microtunnelling construction technology; the use of microtunnelling minimizes the impact on local traffic and residents. The sewer pipe will be installed approximately 10 meters below the surface.
Construction of Compound #2 begins in July 2022
What Can You Expect?
The intersection of Poplar Crescent and Henderson Drive, near Compound #2, will be temporarily closed; residents and local traffic can access Poplar Crescent through the eastbound entrance on Henderson Drive
- Two-way traffic on Henderson Drive between Poplar Crescent and Baldwin Road/McClellan Way will be maintained. Lane restrictions are in place, please slow down when travelling in the area
- York Region Transit (YRT) service along Henderson Drive will not be affected; riders can call YRT’s Contact Centre at 1-866-668-3978 or visit yrt.ca for schedule information
- The sidewalk on the south side of Henderson Drive between McClellan Way and Tamarac Trail will be closed to pedestrians; directional signage will be in place to help guide pedestrians around the sidewalk closure
- The entrance to Tamarac Green Park from Henderson Drive will be closed; all other park entrances and the playground area will remain open
- There will be construction-related traffic in the area; there may be periodic delays and staff will be on-site to help with the movement of traffic, as needed
- There will be some construction-related noise and dust from the equipment and trucks, though every effort to minimize this will be made
- Access to all homes and buildings will remain and there is no impact to your water or wastewater services
Thank you for your patience while we complete this vital work. As with all construction projects, some work may be re-scheduled due to weather or other conditions. Visit york.ca/waterconstruction for more information about water and wastewater construction projects.
Health and safety are the Region’s top priorities. As we continue to monitor the ongoing COVID-19 situation in York Region, we are delivering essential services while staying current with all health and safety-related information and complying with guidelines related to COVID-19 published by the Ontario government York Region Public Health.
This summer, be water smart. Water your lawn early in the morning or in the evening to maximize water penetration into the lawn.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Jose Manalo, P.Eng., PMP
Environmental Services, Public Works