The Inclusion Charter for York Region
Paving the way for inclusive and welcoming communities
The 2021 Inclusion Charter Progress Report is filled with information about how the Municipal Diversity and Inclusion Group (MDIG), co-chaired by York Region and York Regional Police, is fostering inclusive and welcoming communities through the Inclusion Charter for York Region, a community initiative that brings together organizations from across York Region to create inclusive environments with equality for everyone who works, lives and plays here. By endorsing the Charter, participating organizations commit to taking action to achieve its vision in their organization and in the community.
Like 2020, 2021 has been a challenging year and has brought injustices to the forefront. Many of these ongoing challenges underscore the importance of the Inclusion Charter initiative. This report highlights progress made towards achieving the vision of the Inclusion Charter:
- The MDIG collective action campaign and the internal education and awareness actions that were undertaken to raise awareness about the Inclusion Charter initiative
- The launch of the public-facing diversity calendar, available at york.ca/inclusiveyr, and developing the Inclusive Language guide
- Activities with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), including the launch of CIFAL York
- Inclusion Charter endorsement highlights and plans for expanded endorsements of the Inclusion Charter
- The launch of the Inclusion Charter Community of Practice
- Plans for an external community collective action campaign
York Region is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment that recognizes and celebrates all dimensions of diversity.
To learn more about the Inclusion Charter for York Region, please visit york.ca/inclusiveYR and join the conversation on social media using the #inclusiveyr hashtag. If you have any questions or comments, please contact @email.