Let’s Celebrate Seniors Month!
This June, York Region is celebrating Seniors Month and recognizing the important contributions older adults have made and continue to make in our communities.
York Region remains committed to fostering healthy aging where seniors can continue to live, work and age in strong, caring and safe communities through the proposed 2023-2027 York Region Plan to Support Seniors. To learn more about the proposed plan, visit york.ca/planforseniors.
York Region offers a variety of programs and services to directly support seniors including:
- Adult Day Programs
- Support services to help seniors continue to live independently
- Long-term care homes
- Mental health consultations
- Seniors dental program
- Online training for essential caregivers
- Mobility on Request Transit Services
- Seniors Home Support Program
- CP@Clinic Program
Staying healthy and safe, and avoiding health risk or injury is also important for seniors’ health. For Seniors Month, York Region also offers the following reminders:
- Take steps to decrease your risk of falling
- Brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, have regular cleanings and eat a nutritious diet to protect your dental health
- Stay up to date on all recommended vaccines including:
- An annual flu shot every fall
- A COVID-19 booster vaccine if it has been six or more months since a last dose
- A pneumococcal vaccine for 65 and older
- A shingles vaccine for 65 to 70
- A tetanus booster every 10 years
- Take special care to avoid certain foods and handle and prepare food safely
- Get your Personal Medical Information Kit to help manage health information – these are designed to be visible and easily accessible by paramedics or other emergency services.