Notice of Temporary Intersection Closure / Lane Restrictions on 16th Avenue and Highway 48 / Markham Road
16th Avenue Sewer Rehabilitation, Phase Two
The Regional Municipality of York is rehabilitating a 1.5 km section of the York Durham Sewage System on 16th Avenue from Mingay Avenue to west of Williamson Road in the City of Markham.
A temporary intersection closure / lane restriction at 16th Avenue and Highway 48 / Markham Road is planned to install the temporary sewage bypass pipe across the intersection.
Temporary Intersection / Lane Closure
Northbound and southbound lanes at 16th Avenue and Highway 48 / Markham Road will be closed Friday, July 15 at 7 p.m. to Monday, July 18 at 7 a.m. Lane restrictions will be in place for eastbound and westbound traffic.
What can you expect?
- Follow the posted detour routes:
- Northbound traffic: East on 16th Avenue, north on Ninth Line, west on Major Mackenzie Drive and north to Highway 48
- Southbound traffic: South on Markham Road, west on Edward Jeffreys Avenue, south on Mingay Avenue, east on 16th Avenue and south on Markham Road
- York Region Transit (YRT) service along 16th Avenue will continue during rehabilitation work; however bus stop #2996 on 16th Avenue and Highway 48 / Markham Road will be temporary closed; riders can call the YRT Contact Centre at 1-866-668-3978 or visit yrt.ca for more information about the service
- GO Transit service along Highway 48 / Markham Road will continue but will follow the detour route; bus stop #102113 will be closed due to the temporary intersection / lane closure; riders can call the GO Contact Center at 1-888-387-3652 or visit gotransit.com for more information
- Access to all businesses near the 16th Avenue and Highway 48 / Markham Road intersection will be maintained and there are no planned impacts to your water or wastewater services
- Pedestrians are advised to use the south side sidewalk as the north side sidewalk on 16th Avenue will be closed; directional signs will be in place
- There will be construction-related noise and dust, though every effort to minimize it will be made
Detour route for northbound and southbound traffic
We understand temporary closures and lane restrictions are disruptive; thank you for your patience while we complete this vital infrastructure upgrade work. For more information on the 16th Avenue Sewer Rehabilitation project, visit york.ca/waterconstruction. As with all construction projects, some work may be re-scheduled due to weather or other conditions.
Health and safety are the Region’s top priorities. We continue to deliver essential services while staying current with all health and safety related information and complying with guidelines related to COVID-19 published by the Ontario government and York Region Public Health.
This summer, be water smart. Commit to minimizing your water use by turning off the tap while brushing your teeth. For more tips visit york.ca/savewater
If you have any questions, please contact:
Environmental Services, Public Works