Update - Temporary Lane Closure 16th Avenue Between Ninth Line and Highway 48/Markham Road
The Regional Municipality of York is working in your community rehabilitating a 1.5 km section of the York Durham Sewage System that runs on 16th Avenue from Mingay Avenue to west of Williamson Road. The work involves installing a temporary sewage bypass pipe, rehabilitating two access shafts, relining the trunk sewer, and other work.
The sewage bypass pipe is being installed underneath the Metrolinx railway crossing, located just east of Highway 48/Markham Road on 16th Avenue. For safety at the railway crossing, the westbound traffic cannot be diverted into the eastbound lanes. As a result, the westbound lanes of 16th Avenue between Ninth Line and Highway 48/Markham Road will be temporarily closed nightly, from Sunday to Thursday, between 9 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. The road will be open to local traffic and emergency services only. The lane closures will only affect westbound traffic travelling from Ninth Line to Highway 48/ Markham Road. During all other times, three lanes of traffic, one westbound and two eastbound, will be open between Highway 48 / Markham Road and Ninth Line.
Temporary Lane Closure: In the evening, beginning August 15 to October 31, 2022, from Sunday to Thursday between 9 p.m. and 5:30 a.m.
What Can You Expect?
- Each night the temporary detour will be setup to redirect westbound traffic on 16th Avenue travelling between Ninth Line and Highway 48/Markham Road
- Motorists are advised to follow the posted detour route:
- Detour for northbound traffic: North on Ninth Line to Major Mackenzie Dr, west along Major Mackenzie to Markham Road, then south on Markham Road to 16th Avenue
- Detour for southbound traffic: South on Ninth Line to Highway 7, west on Highway 7 to Markham Road, then north on Markham Road to 16th Avenue
- During all other times, three lanes of traffic, one westbound and two eastbound, will be open between Highway 48 /Markham Road and Ninth Line
- The sidewalk on the north side of 16th Avenue between Highway 48and Williamson Road will be temporarily closed; directional signage will be in place to help guide pedestrians
- Due to the nature of work, there will be construction-related noise and dust from equipment and trucks, and every effort to minimize this will be made
- Access to all homes and buildings will be maintained and there are no planned impacts to your water or wastewater services
- York Region Transit (YRT) service along 16th Avenue will continue throughout the rehabilitation work, however some bus stops may be closed or relocated; riders can call the YRT Contact Centre at 1-866-668-3978 or visit yrt.ca for more information
- As with all construction projects, some work may be re-scheduled due to weather or other conditions
We understand the temporary lane closures are disruptive; thank you for your patience while we complete this vital work. Visit york.ca/waterconstruction for more information about the 16th Avenue Sewer Rehabilitation project and other water and wastewater construction projects.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Project Manager Environmental Services,
Public Works York Region