The Regional Municipality Of York


2019 Operating budget highlights

Newmarket – The Regional Municipality of York 2019 to 2022 operating budget includes projected spending of $2.3 billion in 2019, and is projected to grow to $2.6 billion by 2022. The 2019 budget includes a net tax levy increase of 2.96% plus an additional 1% to fund a new Roads Capital Acceleration Reserve. The combined 3.96% tax increase for 2019 will add approximately $95 to the average residential property bill.

Building sustainable communities and protecting the environment are priorities outlined in the 2019 to 2023 Strategic Plan. Keeping our communities strong is key to providing the enviable quality of life that York Region provides.

Dollar breakdown

Highlights of the 2019 Operating Budget (gross expenditures):

$462 million: Transportation Services

  • Maintaining a safe and efficient road network, including more than 4,200 lane-kilometres of road, approximately 2,000 signalized and un-signalized Regional road intersections, bus rapid transit corridors, bridges, sidewalks and cycling lanes
  • Delivering safe, reliable, accessible and convenient transit, with forecasted ridership of:
    • 22 million conventional transit trips
    • 410,000 Mobility Plus trips

$612 million: Environmental Services

  • Providing safe water and wastewater treatment to 1.2 million residents
  • Managing more than 387,000 tonnes of solid waste with a continued focus on reduction, reuse and recycling efforts while maximizing diversion from landfill
  • Implementing the new Regional Forest Plan balances public use of the York Regional Forest with ecological needs
  • Continuing the One Water initiative, including a pilot project to demonstrate the possible future of water use, and reuse, in York Region

$621 million: Community and Health Services

  • Funding and administering more than 6,700 social housing units owned and managed by Housing York Inc. and other community housing providers
  • Providing child care subsidies to approximately 10,000 families with low income, enabling parents to stay employed or go to school
  • Hiring 12 new paramedics in 2019 to respond to the needs of a growing and aging population
  • Increasing the Region’s Community Investment Fund by $850,000 over four years to provide more stability to community agencies who work with low to moderate income residents of York Region
  • Adding an occupational therapist and two early interventionists to provide support to families and caregivers of children with special needs

$368 million: York Regional Police

  • Providing police services to ensure York Region continues to remain among the safest places to live in Canada
  • Hiring 45 new York Regional Police officers and eight civilian staff to ensure the Region is further prepared for cannabis legalization and to address overall needs associated with workload and growth

Other Operating Budget Initiatives:

  • An additional investment of $1 million per year to a new Innovation Investment Fund for major initiatives that support innovation throughout the Region
  • Funding to ensure Court Services can assume additional workload associated with the transfer of administration and prosecution of certain Provincial Offences Act charges from the province
  • Continuing to build reserves to support financial sustainability and maintain infrastructure
  • Continuing to build reserves to support hospital capital projects in the Region, including $15 million in 2019
  • Providing funding to the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority and the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority to support initiatives to protect lakes, rivers and lands within their watersheds

The Regional Municipality of York consists of nine local cities and towns, and provides a variety of programs and services to 1.2 million residents, 51,000 businesses and 620,000 employees. More information about the Region’s key service areas is available at

- 30 -

Media Contact: Barbara Schnier, Corporate Communications,
The Regional Municipality of York
Phone: 1-877-464-9675, ext. 71237
Cell: 905-505-5775

York Region; Operating budget; Operating budget highlights The Regional Municipality of York en-US Media Release