The Regional Municipality Of York

ALERT: In response to the COVID-19 situation, York Region has declared a State of Emergency  |  Get the latest on our response to COVID-19  |  Information on re-opening and resuming business during COVID-19


York Region’s $14.4 million investment in local hospitals is investment in community health

Newmarket – The Regional Municipality of York will contribute $14.4 million in 2017 capital funding to York Region hospitals to support continued quality care for residents.

“As a long-standing funding partner, York Region has invested more than $226.9 million dollars into the future of health care in our community,” said York Region Chairman and CEO Wayne Emmerson. “That commitment continues and demonstrates that quality health care, close to home remains a central and integral part of our community building in York Region.”

Under an ongoing Memorandum of Understanding with four local hospitals, York Region provides potential funding of at least $12 million per year through 2031. Annual funding amounts are adjusted for hospital performance and assessment growth, and divided among the four local hospitals: Mackenzie Health Richmond Hill, Markham Stouffville Hospital, Southlake Regional Health Centre and Mackenzie Health Vaughan.

“In 2016, all local hospitals met the Paramedic off-load target of 30 minutes,” said Town of Newmarket Regional Councillor John Taylor, Chair of Community and Health Services. “Combined with ongoing capital funding, this performance standard helps ensure the Region and local hospitals are working collaboratively to provide timely, quality health care assistance to those who need it

Timing for off-load is calculated from when an ambulance arrives at hospital with a patient to the time hospital staff assume patient care. If the 30-minute off-load target is not achieved, capital funding provided to the hospital may be reduced to address operating costs incurred by York Region Paramedic Services to maintain response time targets.

York Region has a long history of contributing to hospital capital costs. The Province of Ontario funds up to 90 per cent of hospital construction, accounting for approximately 65 per cent of total cost. The remaining 35 per cent is funded from community sources

The Regional Municipality of York consists of nine local cities and towns, and provides a variety of programs and services to almost 1.2 million residents, 50,000 businesses and 595,000 employees. More information about the Region’s key service areas is available at

- 30 -

Media Contact:
Kim MacGillivray, Corporate Communications Advisor
The Regional Municipality of York
Phone: 1-877-464-9675, ext. 77507
Cell: 905-251-6421

York Region; investment in local hospitals; community health The Regional Municipality of York en-US Media Release