The Regional Municipality Of York


About York Region Sub Navigation


Provincial Offences Tickets

Did you know Court Services provides two distinct functions – Court Administration and Prosecution? Whether you are looking to take care of a ticket, have questions about a court appearance, or want to learn more about our operations, you have come to the right place.

Court Services provides services to:

  • Members of the public
  • York Region Area Municipalities
  • Over 30 Law Enforcement and Regulatory Agencies
  • Ministry of the Attorney General
  • Judiciary

For more information please visit:

Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases

Check the Status of Traffic Tickets and Fines Online

This new online service makes it easier for members of the public to find information about Provincial Offences Act Part I and III matters. The search tool allows you to look up the status of a case and basic case information including:

  • How much you owe
  • How to pay your ticket
  • Where and when a trial is scheduled

Before you search for a ticket

Make sure you have the location code and offence number printed on your ticket or notice, so you can look up your case.

If you’ve received a “summons”(an order to appear in front of a judge) you will need the case number on the summons. If you don’t have this information, or you’ve lost your ticket, contact the municipal court office in the jurisdiction where your ticket or fine was issued.

Ticket or Summons Options

What am I charged with and what are my options?

Your offence notice (also known as a “ticket”) or summons sets out the offence with which you are charged. Look at the top of the document that the enforcement officer served you. Does it say Offence Notice, Red Light Camera System Offence Notice or Summons?

What are my options if I receive an Offence Notice (commonly called a ticket)?

If you receive a ticket, you must choose one of the three options listed on the back of your ticket within 15 days. If you fail to respond to the charge, you may be convicted. Upon conviction, additional costs will be applied.

Option 1. Plea of Guilty - Payment of total fine

By choosing this option, you are admitting that you are guilty and you must pay the total payable at the bottom of your ticket. You can pay the fine online, by mail or in person at any Provincial Offences Court location. Cheques should be made payable to the Regional Municipality of York.

Option 2. Plea of Guilty- Submission as to Penalty

Go to the court office shown on the ticket to plead guilty before a Justice of the Peace. You can ask the Justice of the Peace for a lower fine or time to pay. It will be up to the Justice to decide if they will impose a lower fine or give you more time to pay. This process is done in person. You cannot speak to the Justice of the Peace by telephone. Please call the court office ahead of time to ensure judicial availability.

It is important to understand that a Justice of the Peace cannot remove or reduce demerit points and cannot reduce the charge. Demerit points are applied by the Ministry of Transportation upon conviction and the court cannot change the demerit points to be applied. More information on the demerit point system can be obtained from Ministry of Transportation.

Option 3. Trial Option (Not Guilty)

If you believe you are not guilty of the charge noted on your ticket, you must sign the back of your ticket under option 3 and mail or deliver it in person to the address on the ticket. Make sure to keep a copy of your ticket for your records. You will be notified of your upcoming trial date by mail. Notify the court office of any change in address so that your trial notice goes to the proper address. If you do not receive a notice of trial in 5 to 6 weeks, contact the court office to confirm the status.

Can I get more advice on which option to choose?

Court administration staff cannot provide legal advice on how you should proceed. If you are unable to make a choice from the three options listed, you may wish to get advice from a lawyer or licensed paralegal.

How many demerit points will I receive if I am convicted of this charge?

Visit the Ministry of Transportation's website for more information on demerit points. Driving-related demerit points are automatically imposed by law if you are found guilty of certain driving offences. The Justice of the Peace cannot remove or reduce demerit points.

What happens if I do not choose an option and do nothing?

Offence Notice

The ticket will be reviewed by a Justice of the Peace who may convict you in your absence. Additional charges will be applied if convicted. Once you have been convicted it is too late to choose any of the options indicated on the back of your ticket.


If you get a summons, you or someone on your behalf must attend court at the time and place shown on the summons. If you or someone on your behalf does not attend the scheduled court date, it is your responsibility to find out from the court office what happened, including whether a trial date was set and for what date.

Tickets; Summons; What am I charged with; what are my options; York Region; provincial offences; courts The Regional Municipality of York en-US

Ticket Payment

How do I pay my ticket?

Online payment

Visit to pay online using Visa or MasterCard.

  • There is an additional fee of $3.00 when paying online
  • Please note that not all parking tickets can be paid online

In Person Payment

Visit either of York Region's two Provincial Offences Court locations or any Provincial Offences Court in Ontario to pay in person. Accepted payments methods are Visa, MasterCard, Cash, Debit or Cheque

Mail Payment

Accepted payment methods are Visa, MasterCard, Money Order or Cheque.

If the location code is 4960, mail your ticket and payment to the Newmarket location.
If the location code of 4961, mail your ticket and payment to the Richmond Hill location.

Why are there two amounts on my ticket?

One amount is the set fine and the other is your total payable amount. You are responsible for the total payable amount. The total payable is the set fine plus costs and the applicable Victim Fine Surcharge. Costs and Victim Fine Surcharge are automatically imposed under the Provincial Offences Act. All funds from the surcharge go into a Victim Justice Fund and are used to maintain assistance programs for victims of crime. For more information please visit the Ministry of the Attorney General.

What if I need more time to pay a Provincial Offence fine?

If you need more time to pay your court ordered fine, obtain a Motion for Extension of Time to Pay the Fine form online or from any Provincial Offences Court office. Mail or fax the completed form to the court office noted on your ticket. The form will be submitted to a Justice of the Peace. It is your responsibility to contact the court office within two weeks to obtain the decision of the court.

What happens if I don’t pay my fine?

One or more of the following could occur:

  • Additional court and administrative costs
  • Collection enforcement
  • Licence suspension
  • Plate denial
  • Involvement by third party collection agencies
  • Credit bureau may be notified and your credit may be impacted

How do I pay my defaulted fines?

A defaulted fine is a fine that has not been paid by its due date as indicated in the Notice of Fine and Due Date. Please use one of the methods above for payment.

My driver’s licence is suspended due to unpaid fines. What should I do now?

Contact your local Provincial Offences Court office either in person or by telephone so that the staff can help you. Subject to the type and age of your outstanding fine, you will be directed to either pay at ServiceOntario with the option to activate you driver’s licence the same day if there are no other outstanding requirements or restrictions, or pay at the courthouse. If you have fines prior to May 1, 2010, you are required to make payment at any Provincial Offences Court. It will take approximately three to five business days for your licence to be reinstated if you pay at the courthouse.

Note: Visit the Ministry of Transportation's website for more information on suspended licences. Other outstanding matters may result in your licence remaining suspended.

I have very old fines. Do I still have to pay them?

Yes, fines are court orders and remain owing until paid. There is no statute of limitations when it comes to outstanding fines. At any time the court may apply enforcement actions (i.e. licence suspension, garnishment of wages etc.). Even if you claim bankruptcy, your fines are still owed.

Payment; how do I pay my ticket; how can I pay my ticket; tickets; provincial offences; defaulted fine The Regional Municipality of York en-US

Parking Tickets

If you have received a Parking Infraction Notice, also called a parking ticket, you have the option to pay the fine or dispute the ticket within 15 days of receiving the ticket. Please select the municipality below noted on the back of your ticket for additional information.

*If you have received a Notice of Fine and Due Date from Aurora, East Gwillimbury, King or Whitchurch-Stouffville municipalities as noted above, you can pay the parking fines at any provincial court office.
Parking tickets; how do I pay my parking ticket; where do I pay my parking ticket; The Regional Municipality of York en-US


If I want to represent myself at trial, what is the trial process?

The Ontario Court of Justice has developed a Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases. The Guide provides defendants with general information about the court process for Provincial Offences cases. It does not cover every circumstance that might arise in your case.

On your trial date, you may be asked by the Justice of the Peace whether you have sought independent legal advice, whether you have requested disclosure, and whether you understand the trial process.

Please arrive at least 15-30 minutes before your scheduled trial time so that you can meet with the prosecutor to discuss your case.

What happens if I am found guilty?

A conviction will be registered with the Court and you will be sentenced. Your sentence could include a fine, probation, court order, licence suspension, imprisonment or any combination thereof.

If I am found guilty, will I receive any notification in the mail?

You should receive a document entitled "Notice of Fine and Due Date". However, if you do not receive this document, you are still responsible to pay the fine within the time period granted by the Justice of the Peace.

What happens if I cannot attend my trial date or miss it?

You or your agent must attend at the court office shown on the trial notice well in advance of the trial date to complete a Notice of Motion requesting a change of the trial date. The court may grant or refuse your adjournment request.

If you cannot attend court on your trial date and you cannot bring a motion before the trial date as a result of a last-minute emergency, you may send someone to the court on your trial date in order to request a new trial date. The court may or may not grant a change of trial date.

If you miss your trial date, the Justice of the Peace may convict you in your absence. You can apply to have your conviction struck out and a new trial scheduled.

  • If you were initially given an Offence Notice (ticket) you may attend at the court office and complete re-opening papers within 15 days of becoming aware of the conviction. The application will be reviewed by a Justice of the Peace who will consider the reasons for your failure to appear at trial. The re-opening may or may not be granted.
  • If you were served with a Summons (as opposed to an Offence Notice), the trial may take place in your absence or a new trial date may be selected without further notice to you after which you may be convicted in your absence. You may appeal the conviction.

Can I change my mind and plead guilty after the trial is set?

You can give up your right to a trial and plead guilty at any time before the trial date. You can pay your ticket online up to three days before the trial date or in person at any Provincial Offences Court in Ontario, or you can attend before a Justice of the Peace at the court location noted on your ticket to plead guilty and provide submissions about the penalty.

Trials; courts; The Regional Municipality of York en-US

Disclosure Request

How do I request Disclosure?

You have a right to obtain officer's notes and any other relevant evidence involving the charge against you, also known as disclosure, to help you prepare for your trial. Once you have received your trial notice, you can request disclosure by:

  • Using the form included with your trial notice
  • Obtaining a form from the Prosecutor's office at the court location indicated on your Offence Notice (ticket)
  • Selecting the form for the court location applicable to your charge below

Disclosure Request Form for Newmarket
Disclosure Request Form for Richmond Hill

You can mail, email or deliver your disclosure request form to the Prosecution office at the court location indicated on your Offence Notice (ticket). Please allow 30 days to process your request. The Prosecutors Office will call to notify you once the disclosure is ready to be picked up.

Newmarket Prosecution Office:

Prosecutor’s Office
465 Davis Drive, Suite 225
Newmarket, ON L3Y T79

Richmond Hill Prosecution Office:

Prosecutor’s Office
50 High Tech Road, 1st Floor
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 4N7

Speed Measuring Devices

If you have been charged with speeding by a York Regional Police officer and the officer used a radar or laser device to obtain the speed reading, you can obtain a copy of the relevant manual for the device used by clicking on the link to the manual. The officer's notes will indicate what devicet the officer used.

DragonEye - Speed LIDAR
Decatur Electronics Genesis - Genesis Handheld Directional GHD and Scout
Decatur Electronics Genesis - II Select
Decatur Electronics Genesis - VP Directional
MPH Industries - BEE III
MPH Industries - Ranger EZ
MPH Industries - SpeedLaser LIDAR

What is disclosure The Regional Municipality of York en-US

Appealing a Conviction or Sentence

How do I file an appeal?

You have the right to appeal any Provincial Offence’s court conviction, sentence, or both, within 30 days of the conviction and sentence date. For more information about the appeal process, please read the POA Part I and II Appeal Process Guide and the POA Part III Appeal Process Guide.

Pay any outstanding fines

If you were fined as part of your sentence, you will have to pay the fine into court before you will be allowed to file your Notice of Appeal. Keep your receipt of fine payment because the appeal court office may require proof that you have paid your fine before accepting any appeal documents for filing.

Notice of Appeal

The first step to start the appeal process is to complete and file a form called a Notice of Appeal. You can get the Notice of Appeal from the court office where your trial took place or from the appeal court office.

Part I and Part II Appeals

You must fill out Notice of Appeal for Part I and Part II Appeals Application Form within 30 days of your conviction and file it at the courthouse located at 50 Eagle Street West, Newmarket, Ontario.

Part III Appeals

You must fill out and serve your Notice of Appeal for Part III Appeals at the Crown’s office at 50 Eagle Street West, Newmarket, Ontario (or appropriate Ministry for certain offences) and file the appeal forms within 30 days of your conviction at 50 Eagle Street West.


Transcripts are a written record of what was said at a court hearing. Some appeal judges want a trial transcript. For Part III appeals, the appeal rules require you to order and pay for three copies of the transcript and file a Certificate from the clerk confirming that a transcript has been ordered. Failure to do so may result in your appeal not being scheduled, or being dismissed. It is important that you order transcripts promptly to avoid delaying the hearing of your appeal.

Extension of time to appeal

If you do not file a Notice of Appeal within 30 days, you must get judicial permission to file the Notice of Appeal. To ask for judicial permission, complete and file a form called Application for Extension of Time to Appeal. You can get the Application for Extension of Time to Appeal form at the court office where your trial took place, or at the appeal court office. Serve the completed form on the prosecutor’s office in Newmarket and file the completed form with proof of service at the appeal court office.

Conviction; sentence; York Region; How do I appeal a conviction The Regional Municipality of York en-US


What happens if I don't pay my fine?

Failure to pay your court ordered fine (including all costs and the Victim Fine Surcharge) within the time ordered by court will result in your fine going into default. Default fines are subject to additional fees and a variety of enforcement tools, regardless of the age of the fine.

Failure to pay the fine on time could result in:

  • Additional court and administrative costs
  • Inability to renew your license plate sticker or your driver’s licence until the outstanding debt is paid
  • Suspension of your driver’s licence
  • Licence Plate denial
  • Notification to a credit reporting agency of the outstanding debt which may impact your credit
  • The fines being added to your property tax bill
  • Civil enforcement, which may include garnishing wages and/or bank accounts or registering a lien against property and assets

If the ticket is past due, please call the Provincial Offences Collections office at 1-877-331-3309 or 905-898-0425 ext. 73337. A payment plan may be offered depending on your circumstances.

Collections; provincial offences; tickets The Regional Municipality of York en-US


Forms The Regional Municipality of York en-US

Federal Offences

The Provincial Offences Act applies to all offences under the provincial statutes and regulations, including municipal by-laws. In addition, certain federal offences are also enforced under the POA pursuant to the federal Contraventions Act.

The Contraventions Act establishes a clearer distinction between criminal and regulatory offences. The Act allows the federal government to designate federal statutory offences as contraventions, so that they could be processed using a ticketing system.

It is impossible to list all federal offences that have been designated as contraventions. To date, there are close to 3,000 such offences, involving more than 20 different federal laws and more than 45 sets of regulations. Below are examples of some federal laws containing federal offences designated as contraventions and an example of a federal contravention under the statutes.


Example of Contravention


Canada National Park Act Damage an archaeological site or historical resource $300
Canada Shipping Act Operate power-driven or electrically propelled vessel with more engine power than maximum specified $100
Canadian Environmental Protection Act Quarterly report of Lead Concentration in Gasoline Produced (…) not submitted to the Minister with the required information $500
Fisheries Act Possess any live fish for use as bait in the inland waters of New Brunswick $200
Tobacco Act Sell cigarettes in a package containing fewer than 20 $500
Federal Offences The Regional Municipality of York en-US

We Welcome Your Feedback

York Region Court Services is committed to providing efficient, professional and courteous customer service and we are continually looking for ways to improve our standards and enhance the customer experience. If you have concerns with the service provided, we want to know.

If you have a complaint about Court Operations, please contact:

Mail: Manager, Court Operations, 50 High Tech Road, 1st floor, Richmond Hill, L4B 4N7
In person: You may discuss your complaint with a supervisor at either court location

If you have a complaint about Collections, please contact:

Mail: Manager, Collections,  Performance Improvement and Initiatives, 465 Davis Drive, Suite 303, Newmarket, ON L3Y 7T9
In person: You may discuss your complaint with the Supervisor, Collections at the Tannery location.

If you have a complaint about Prosecution services, please contact:

Mail: Senior Counsel, Prosecutions, 50 High Tech Road, 1st floor, Richmond Hill, L4B 4N7
In person: You may discuss your complaint with the Senior Counsel at the Richmond Hill location

Please note that court services staff cannot comment on decisions made by the judiciary. For information on complaints involving the judiciary, please contact in writing or fax:

The Justice of the Peace Review Council P.O. Box 914
Adelaide Street Postal Station  31 Adelaide St. E Toronto, ON M5C 2K3
416-327-2339 (Fax)

Next Steps

  1. A court service representative will contact you within two business days to acknowledge receipt of your complaint, outline the complaint process and provide contact details.
  2. An assessment and investigation into your complaint will be conducted in a private and confidential manner. This normally involves following up with appropriate staff, reviewing relevant policies, procedures and laws.
  3. You will receive a response to your complaint within 15 business days of sending you our acknowledgement.
  4. If you are making a verbal complaint, we will try to resolve it immediately.  If you are not satisfied with the response, you may be asked to put your complaint in writing to the manager.
We are committed to resolving problems as efficiently and effectively as possible in a fair and transparent manner.
Feedback; York Region; provincial offences; tickets; The Regional Municipality of York en-US

Court Accessibility Coordinators

For accessibility services contact the courthouse Accessibility Coordinator at 1-877-331-3309.

Related Resources

Provincial Offences Tickets Resources

Speeding ticket,Provincial offence ticket,court,trial,prosecutor,fine,pay tickets,online payment,early resolution meeting,appealing a ticket,pay fine,pay ticket,pay ticket online,how do I pay my ticket,you can pay your ticket online,parking ticket,driving ticket,provincial offences courts The Regional Municipality of York en-US Provincial Offences Tickets Provincial Offences Tickets There are three ways of dealing with a Provincial Offences Ticket: plead guilty by paying the full amount, request an early resolution meeting or go to trial.

News and Social Media


Campaigns and Projects


Contact Us

  • General Inquiries

  • 1-877-464-9675

  • Administrative Centre

  • Emergency Police, Fire or Ambulance

    Call 9-1-1

  • Accessibility

    Accessible formats or communication supports are available upon request

url of logo image en-US The Regional Municipality of York Contact Us

Events Calendar

  • More events