Jane Street to Westburne Drive
Road widening from four to six lanes.
To accommodate growth, York Region is widening and improving Rutherford Road between Jane Street and Westburne Drive in the City of Vaughan. Improvements will include:
- Widening Rutherford Road from four lanes to six lanes. While undergoing widening, boulevard bicycle lanes and enhanced streetscaping will be completed in this area
- CN Railway bridge work, in order to facilitate the road widening
- Replacing old infrastructure with rehabilitating and replacing two road crossing culverts and storm sewers
- Extending two existing road crossing culverts to accommodate the widened roadway
- Paving and intersection work along Rutherford Road, from east of Highway 400 to Jane Street, directly in front of Vaughan Mills Mall and Vaughan City Centre shopping plazas
- Intersection improvements along Rutherford Road, from east of Highway 400 to Westburne Drive, to meet Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) requirements
Utility relocations began in January 2020. This work is anticipated to be completed in fall 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of this project?
- At the end of this project, travellers will benefit from two extra lanes of roadway in an otherwise traffic heavy area, easing congestion
- The installation of boulevard bicycle lanes aide in connecting the larger commuter and leisure cycling network in this area and future connections to potential cycling networks as well
- Upgraded traffic signals and enhanced roadway illumination throughout the corridor
- Travellers will also get rehabilitated roads, ensuring a safer commute for all road users
What is a culvert?
- A culvert is a tunnel or crossing located under a road. It can be built to transport either water, people or animals
Why do the culverts need to be
- York Region conducts routine inspections of its infrastructure. Through ongoing inspections, it has been determined two culverts need to be replaced and two need to be extended to support the widened roadway and to ensure safe travel on Rutherford Road
Are there any lane closures or
reductions associated with this project?
- Four lanes are being maintained throughout the construction period during peak travel hours. To achieve this, lane width reductions will be in place and speed will be temporarily reduced in the construction area
- Off-peak lane reductions are required to facilitate construction between 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
- Traffic lanes will be shifting throughout construction during off-peak and peak hours
- Temporary night closures may be required to facilitate the CN Railway bridge construction work
- Temporary night closures may be required for work directly in the intersections and for storm sewer and culvert crossing works
Will there be any night work?
- Night work may be required between 7:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. to facilitate the following:
- Paving the roadway and pavement markings
- Storm sewer and culvert road crossing work
- CN Railway bridge construction
- Intersection improvements
- Night work is planned to mitigate disruptions to traffic in the vicinity of the commercial areas (Vaughan Mills Mall) and travel to/from Highway 400. This will take place between 9 p.m. and 6:30 a.m.
- During this night work, lane reductions will be in place
Will there be any weekend work?
- Work may be required on the weekends to expedite the construction work
Will there be any work on statutory
- Work may be required on statutory holidays to expedite the construction work
Can pedestrians and cyclists still use
- Pedestrian access will be maintained on a minimum of one side of the road at all times. The existing sidewalk is discontinuous on Rutherford Road between Creditstone Road and Jane Street
- There are no existing bicycle facilities on Rutherford Road. Cyclists are to use the roadway in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and/or boulevard(s) in accordance with Local By-laws
Safety is a priority on all Regional construction sites. For everyone’s safety, please reduce your speed through the construction area. A temporary speed reduction will be in place throughout the project limits, as lanes will be temporarily shifted and widths will be reduced to accommodate construction.
Travellers are encouraged to use traffic and navigation tools. York Region provides real-time traffic and road information in open data, used by many apps.
We recognize construction may be disruptive and the importance of minimizing the impact to those working, living and travelling in the area. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Please note: this work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or delays related to COVID-19 Public Health guidelines. York Region will provide advance notice whenever possible.
If you have any questions regarding this project, contact information is listed below. To better assist you, please quote Rutherford Road between Jane Street and Westburne Drive in your inquiry.
Communications and Community Engagement Specialist
Phone: 1-877-464-9675 ext. 75923
Construction ActivityEmergency outside of normal business hours: York Region Roads Dispatch Representative 1-877-464-9675 ext. 75200
Phone: 1-877-464-9675 ext. 75962