Together, We Are York Region Public Health
And We Are More Than COVID-19
It’s been a long two plus years; a lot has changed. But one thing that remains is York Region Public Health’s commitment to community health and well-being at every age and stage.
As one of Ontario’s 34 public health units and the third largest health unit in the province, York Region Public Health promotes and protects the community health through a combination of programs, services and healthy public policies. While Public Health does not treat individual illness, we do try to prevent residents from getting sick or injured in the first place.
Programs and services reflect the principles of customer focus, collaboration, accessibility, diversity, inclusion and health equity.
We are in it for life – Not just in a pandemic.
WE ARE growing families
We help you:
- Have healthy pregnancies, babies and children
- Build strong emotional connections with your family
- Stay active and safe outdoors
- Protect against preventable infectious diseases
- Eat nutritious food
WE ARE thriving children
We help you:
- Have healthy smiles
- Ensure smoke and vape-free spaces or live in a smoke-free home
- Stay active and safe
- Receive publicly funded vaccines for free
- Enjoy safe child care centres and schools
- Learn about resiliency, mental and physical well-being
WE ARE healthy relationships
We help you:
- Get pregnancy tests, sexual health exams and treatment at no cost
- Recognize signs of a healthy relationship
WE ARE living life to the fullest
York Region is preparing for a significant increase in the population of seniors. We want to help you stay healthier, longer.
- Support healthy aging
- Provide dental services for vulnerable seniors
- Immunize against vaccine preventable diseases
- Support and promote a Healthy Built Environment
- Preventing Infections and manage outbreaks
WE ARE protecting and promoting health
- Prevent infections and manage outbreaks
- Promote substance use harm reduction
- Support access to naloxone, safer harm reduction supplies and services
- Ensure schools and licensed child care centres have immunization information
- Protect your food, water and environment
- Prepare for the impacts of climate change
- Ensure smoke and vape-free spaces
- Inspect restaurants, child care centres, beauty salons, tattoo studios, pools, beaches and more
- Collect, monitor, and respond to data to promote community health
WE ARE community
- Work with all sectors: schools, hospitals, workplaces and businesses
- Use research and data to keep you healthy and safe
- Encourage community action and development
- Advocate for healthy policies and practices
For a full list of York Region Public Health programs and services, please visit york.ca/health
Looking for advice? Contact us.
York Region Public Health professionals offer confidential information and advice on public health-related topics, resources, services and other community programs, including pregnancy, parenting, family health, infectious disease, sexual health, sexually transmitted infections, health protection and dental health.
York Region’s Access York contact centre provides information and referrals about physical activity, healthy schools, injury prevention, substance use and healthy aging, as well as application services for York Region programs and services.
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.