York Region offers face to face breastfeeding instruction and support from public health nurses through both virtual video conferencing and in-person clinics. Residents can contact Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653 to discuss their individual needs.
Parents can get breastfeeding support through virtual video conferencing sessions or at one of York Region’s in-person breastfeeding clinics. Sessions are one-to-one with a nurse who has breastfeeding expertise. All virtual and in-person services are private and confidential.
Parents learn about:
- The importance of breastfeeding to the health of moms and children
- Tips for successful breastfeeding such as:
- Helping baby to latch well and comfortably
- Making sure baby is drinking well from the breast
- Understanding milk supply
- Hunger and feeding cues
- How to know if their baby is getting enough to eat and growing well
- Strategies to work through breastfeeding challenges
- Ways to provide their baby with as much breast milk as possible
Breastfeeding clinics are available to people who live in York Region. Partners or support persons are welcome to join, space permitting.
Families can call Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653 to make a virtual or in-person breastfeeding clinic appointment.
Reasons to use the Service
Mothers should get help with breastfeeding if they notice:
- Their baby is not having enough wet or dirty diapers for their age
- Their baby is having trouble latching at the breast
- They have sore breasts or nipples
- Their baby is still hungry or needs to be fed by another method after breastfeeding
- Their baby is not gaining the expected amount of weight or growing well
*The terms breast milk/breastfed/breastfeeding are widely used, but human milk/chestfed/chestfeeding can be used interchangeably. The terms mother/maternal are meant to be inclusive of all parents, caregivers and significant others. We are in the process of reviewing and revising our written materials to be inclusive of all families in York Region.
This service is provided at no cost.
Breastfeeding Clinic Locations
17150 Yonge Street, 3rd Floor
9060 Jane Street, first floor