York Region offers face-to-face breastfeeding instruction and support from public health nurses through both virtual video conferencing and in-person clinics. Residents can contact Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653 or visit york.ca/NurseChat to discuss their individual needs.
Free breastfeeding/chestfeeding* support is available through virtual video conferencing sessions or at one of York Region’s in-person breastfeeding clinics. Sessions are one-to-one with a nurse who has breastfeeding expertise.
Our nurses can help support you to meet your infant feeding goals including:
- Learning about the health benefits of breastfeeding for parents and children
- Discovering tips for successful breastfeeding such as:
- How to help your baby to latch well and comfortably
- Identifying if your baby is efficiently removing milk from the breast
- Understanding milk supply
- Learning your baby's hunger and feeding cues
- Identifying if your baby is getting enough to eat and growing well
- Strategies to work through breastfeeding challenges
- Discussing how to feed your baby safely
Breastfeeding clinics are available to people who live in York Region. Partners or support persons are welcome to join, space permitting.
Families can call Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653 or visit york.ca/NurseChat to make a virtual or in-person breastfeeding clinic appointment.
Reasons to Seek Support
Breastfeeding support is recommended if you notice:
- Your is not having enough wet or dirty diapers for their age
- Your baby is having trouble latching at the breast
- You are experiencing sore breasts or nipples
- Your baby is still hungry or needs to be fed by another method after breastfeeding
- Your baby is not gaining the expected amount of weight or growing well
*The terms breast milk/breastfed/breastfeeding are widely used, but human milk/chestfed/chestfeeding can be used interchangeably. The terms mother/maternal are meant to be inclusive of all parents, caregivers and significant others. We are in the process of reviewing and revising our written materials to be inclusive of all families in York Region.
This service is provided at no cost.
Breastfeeding Clinic Locations
The LINK, 20849 Dalton Road
24262 Woodbine Ave.
4261 Highway 7 East
17150 Yonge Street, 3rd Floor
9060 Jane Street, 1st floor