York Region is committed to creating sustainable communities through energy conservation and greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
Strategies and Plans
The Energy Conservation and Demand Management Plan identifies initiatives and opportunities for Regional corporate service delivery to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Steps taken to date include:
- Energy efficient buildings that exceed the requirements of the Ontario Building Code, and in the case of the Forest Stewardship and Education Centre, generate more energy than it consumes
- Solar photovoltaic arrays that generate enough energy each year to power 45 average sized homes with clean, zero-emissions electricity
- Integration of hybrid vehicle technologies into corporate fleets that cut equivalent vehicle emissions in half
- Pilot of six battery electric buses on two Regional transit routes, reducing air pollution by 98% and noise pollution almost completely as compared to diesel buses
Reporting and Data
The Region reports annually to Council, the provincial government, and the public, its progress toward meeting its corporate emissions targets.
- 2020 Corporate Energy Report: 2020 Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Regional Services Page 1 Page 2
- Please reference the Open Data portal for the O.Reg. 507/18 Broader Public Sector Energy Report
Energy Reporting Dashboard
Energy use in the dashboard is displayed in the following units: electricity (kWh), natural gas (m3), propane (L), greenhouse gases (kg CO2 equivalent).
Note: Reporting is completed only on facilities required under the Province of Ontario Regulation 507/18. Increases seen in the total energy and GHG emissions view (the default view) can be attributed to the fact that new buildings are being added every year.
Accessible formats or communication supports are available upon request.