EarlyON Child and Family Programs
EarlyON, where families come together to learn, play, and connect
EarlyON Child and Family programs offer free, inclusive and welcoming programs for parents, caregivers and young children from birth to six years old. These high-quality programs are designed to cater to the diverse needs of families and children. We acknowledge the support of the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada. EarlyON programs are funded by the Ministry of Education.
EarlyON programs offer parents and caregivers opportunities to:
- Join free play-based programs with their child(ren) either in-person, indoors, outdoors or virtually
- Connect with qualified Early Learning professionals through informal conversations, or one-on-one
- Receive resources tailored to family’s/child’s unique needs
- Attend parenting and child development information sessions and workshops
- Gain knowledge about community resources and services
- Meet and build connections with other parents, caregivers and children in the community
EarlyON programs are aligned with "How Does Learning Happen? Ontario's Pedagogy for the Early Years". This pedagogical approach focuses on, four foundations of learning:
- Belonging, well-being, expression and engagement
- Providing learning experiences that encourage exploration, play, and inquiry
- Nurturing healthy development and wellbeing
- Establishing authentic relationships and connections
Families and caregivers are welcome to attend any EarlyON program offered across York Region.
Register for EarlyON programs online
York Region offers an online registration platform for EarlyON Child and Family Programs. The benefits of the platform include:
- A one-stop shop for all EarlyON programs across York Region
- One-time process for entering family information
- An easy way to manage your registrations in one place
- Consistent process for all EarlyON programs across York Region
- A simple check-in and check-out process from your own device
- Access to all EarlyON program calendars in York Region
You can view the calendar of all available program offerings across York Region using the EarlyON calendar.
If you plan to attend a program, you will need to:
- Create a Children's Services Portal account (there is a step-by-step guide or video that can help you set up your account)
- Use the calendar to select the program offering you would like to attend
- Check into the program, the day of the program
Many EarlyON program offerings across York Region are drop-in programs. Drop-in programs are offered on a first come first served basis.
Virtual and Parenting programs require pre-registration. Registration for these programs can be completed through your Children’s Services account.
EarlyON Program Calendars and Locations
All nine cities and towns in York Region have EarlyON programs that you and your child can enjoy in person, indoor, outdoor and virtually. There are more than 70 EarlyON programs locations across York Region consisting of 10 centres and more than 60 mobile sites. Search for child care centres and family drop-in programs in York Region using our Early Years Program Finder tool.
To learn more about EarlyON programs in your area, please visit the website listed below your local municipality.
Town of Aurora
Town of East Gwillimbury
For information about mobile sites in East Gwillimbury, contact the Newmarket Centre.
Town of Georgina
Township of King
City of Markham
More mobile sites
Town of Newmarket
City of Richmond Hill
City of Vaughan
Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
York Region is now offering in-person and virtual EarlyON programs in French at the following locations:
City of Markham
Village of Kleinburg
EarlyON Service Delivery Review Parent and Caregiver Survey - Findings Report
York Region conducted an EarlyON Service Delivery Review Parent and Caregiver Survey to learn more about the diverse needs of families with young children and inform the planning of EarlyON programs in York Region. The findings in the 2021 report will ensure programs and services are responsive to the needs of local communities and promote the inclusion of all families.
A Profile of Children in York Region
A Profile of Children in York Region includes information on children from birth to age 12 and their families, and shows how our communities are changing by looking at population, languages spoken, income and program data.
Early Development Instrument
The Early Development Instrument (EDI) assesses early learning and developmental health of a community’s young children. It reflects developmental outcomes and milestones achieved during the first five years of life in the context of early childhood experiences. The results are analysed for 64 neighbourhoods in York Region, as well as at the regional level in this 2018 report.
Early Years Community Profiles
The Early Years Community Profiles tool is a resource designed to support program, service and policy planning for young children and their families at the neighbourhood level in York Region.
Continuous Quality Improvement Framework
A continuous quality improvement framework has been developed that will guide the day-to-day delivery of EarlyON programs and services to ensure they are responsive and reflective of the communities they serve. This framework provides the foundation for consistent program quality throughout the Region. It is being used to guide EarlyON Child and Family programs in demonstrating accountability and commitment to continually improve outcomes for children and families, while ensuring mandatory core services are met
Training and Supports for Early Learning and Child Care Professionals
Professionals working in EarlyON Child and Family programs can participate in various capacity building and training opportunities offered by York Region to support ongoing professional development and training. This includes specific training for professionals working in EarlyON Child and Family programs and training offered to all early learning and child care professionals across York Region.
To learn more about these opportunities and to register, please visit the Early Learning and Child Care Professional Development registration page.
Resources and Supports for families
- Create an Outdoor Play and Learning Environment at Home
- Create and Introduce Routines at Home
- Fun activities at home
- Handout - Books on Children's Mental Health
- Tips for reading with young children - Children's Books
- Tips for reading with young children
- Track your child's development
- Parenting Supports
- Child & Family Collaborative
- Business Change - Request Form - A
- Business Change - Request Form - B
- EarlyON Collaborative Committee Program Offering/Capacity Building (System-Wide) Request
- EarlyON Collaborative Committee Terms of Reference
- EarlyON Dressing for Winter Infographic
- EarlyON Dressing for the Seasons
- EarlyON OCCMS Program Registrations User Guide
- Funding Guideline
- RECE Grand-Parenting Exemption Request Form
- RECE Temporary Exemption Form
- Serious Incident Reporting Form
External Resources for EarlyON Program
- College of Early Childhood Educators: Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Early Years Check-In Tool
- Early Referral Identification Kit
- Ministry of Education: Information on Child Care and the Early Years
- Ontario 211 - Community and Social Services Help Line
- The transformation of child and family programs funded by the Ministry of Education to Ontario EarlyON Child and Family Centres
If you would like more information about EarlyON programs in York Region or have any questions or comments, please send an email to @email