Going Somewhere? Go Active!
Using active modes of transportation is a great way to be active throughout the day. Active transportation improves our health and the health of our communities. Being active also lowers our healthcare costs by increasing the number of people who choose to walk or bike, which in turn can help our population with attaining a healthy body weight, a reduction in heart disease, and Type 2 diabetes.
Cycling and walking also make our roads safer by reducing congestion and the number of conflicts that occur by overcrowded streets. Furthermore, active transportation increases eyes on the street for enhanced neighborhood safety.
Benefits of Active Transportation
- Improves health and wellness by increasing daily exercise
- Improves student academic success
- Children and youth who engage in regular physical activity report having higher self-esteem
- Enhances school safety by decreasing the volume of vehicles in school zones
- Increases time spent with family and friends
- Builds awareness of your community and neighbourhood
- Improves physical activity levels in York Region
- Conserves energy
- Reduces road congestion, pollutants, greenhouse gas and CO2 emission which improves air quality
- Reduces impact of pollution including pollution-related illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, stroke, cancer, asthma and other respiratory diseases
Try Leaving Your Vehicle at Home
- Organize a walking group with others who share your interests
- Visit local parks and York Region forests and trails.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park your car further at the mall, school or at work and walk the extra distance
- Take a walking break around the building during your work day
- Shop locally and use a wheeled personal shopping trolley
- Walk with your children to and from school
- Try cycling in local parks or trails around your community
- Connect with your Region or local municipality for cycling events and information sessions
- Look at the York Region cycling maps and explore interesting routes
Going to School? Go Active!
Active School Travel supports elementary and secondary schools with education and initiatives that encourage families to choose active and sustainable travel to and from school. This includes walking, cycling, wheeling, taking the school bus (if eligible) as well as parking and walking a block. For more information, visit Physical Activity for Schools and view the tab Active School Travel.
- Physical Activity Resources
- Outdoor Air Quality
- Pedestrian and Traffic Safety Program
- Visit your local municipality for parks and recreational programs
- Canada Walks
- Get Healthy & Fit with Active Transportation
- Mobilizing Knowledge on Active Transportation
- Hike Ontario
- Oak Ridges Trail Association
- Ontario Trails
- Idle-Free Zone
- Idle-Free Campaign Kit
- 100 Reasons To Walk (For Your Health)