Please check your town or city website for your yard waste collection schedule and to find out what's accepted at the curb.
Ways to reduce your yard waste include:
- Leaf mulching
- Grass-cycling (i.e. leaving grass clipping on your lawn)
- Backyard composting
Yard waste can also be dropped off at select waste depots. Yard waste will be turned into nutrient-rich compost. Waste Depot locations, hours and fees can be found at york.ca/wastedepots
To see if a specific item is accepted as yard waste, please use Bindicator.
What is accepted at the Yard Waste Depot
- Branches (no larger than 30 cm / 12 in. diameter and 1.8 m / 6 ft. in length)
- Christmas Tree
- Flowers and plants
- Vegetable garden waste including pumpkins
- Sod with dirt removed in small residential quantities (Bloomington Road location only)
What is not accepted at the Yard Waste Depot
- Animal waste
- Driveway and road sweepings
- Grass clippings
- Kitchen and food waste
- Root balls
- Soil and clean fill
York Region residents can drop off excess yard waste generated within York Region for a fee at these waste depot locations in York Region:
- Bloomington Yard Waste Depot
- Georgina Transfer Station, Household Hazardous Waste and Recycling Depot
- McCleary Court Community Environmental Centre
For curbside collection, please contact your city or town.
Frequently asked questions and tips
What type of bags can I use to drop off yard waste?
Kraft paper bags are acceptable. Plastic bags are not accepted. Plastic bags with yard waste in them need to be emptied at the depot site and disposed.
How can I reduce the amount of yard waste I generate?
Try these helpful tips:
- Compost your yard waste in a backyard composter
- Practice grass-cycling by leaving your grass clippings on your lawn
- Mulch leaves for use on your gardens