Training for Essential Caregivers, Visitors and Families at Group Living Homes
If you are an essential caregiver, visitor or family member of someone who lives in a group living home, you have an important role to play in preventing infections from spreading when you visit. Group living homes include long-term care homes, retirement homes, children’s residences, group homes, housing with supports, homes for special care, emergency housing and shelters.
Training to help stop the spread of infections
York Region Public Health has developed a four-part online video training course called ‘How to Stop Infections from Spreading When Visiting Group Living Homes: Training for Essential Caregivers, Visitors and Families.’
All essential caregivers, visitors and families who visit group living homes in York Region are encouraged to take this four-part online course to learn practices to follow to help protect yourselves, residents and staff from the spread of infections.
Group living homes may require essential caregivers, visitors and family members to be trained on how to stop infections from spreading. Completing this course may help you to meet this training requirement.
This training meets the needs of essential caregivers, visitors and families. It is easy to follow and can be taken at your convenience from the comfort of your home.
There are four videos for you to watch followed by a series of questions at the end of each part to help you review what you learned. Each video and set of questions will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
Please click on the links below to complete the training:
- Part 1: How infections spread
- Part 2: Practices to follow when visiting a group living home
- Part 3: Practices to follow during caregiving activities like feeding and laundry
- Part 4: Practices to follow when caring for a sick resident or during an outbreak
Proof of completion
Participants who take the course will receive a proof of completion email from York Region Public Health, confirming they have completed each part of the course.
Please show the proof of completion emails you receive from York Region Public Health to the group living homes you visit to confirm you have completed each part of the course. You will receive a total of four emails – one for each part of the course you successfully complete.
If you have any questions or experience difficulties while accessing the training, please contact Access York:
TTY: 1-866-512-6228 (for the deaf or hard of hearing)
- A Guide to Proper Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Video
- Correct Handwashing Procedures Poster
- Cover Your Cough or Sneeze Poster
- Hand Sanitizer Poster
- How to Wash your Hands Video
- Preventing Infections
- Training Course for Essential Caregivers, Families and Visitors - Information Sheet
- Training Course for Essential Caregivers, Families and Visitors - Poster