York Regional Forest Walks and Events
Please note: York Region’s in-person forest walks and events are currently cancelled due to COVID-19.
Although many walks and events have been cancelled, all 22 public forest tracts with 150 kilometres are open! Spending time in nature provides health benefits such as stress relief, improved memory and attention span.
How to Prepare for Your Visit
To ensure your safety and the safety of others please:
- Check weather forecasts and dress accordingly
- Ensure dogs are leashed wherever indicated
- Do not litter
- Do not smoke
- Be kind and act responsibly
Discover Your Forest Kit
More Discover Your Forest Kits will be available soon! If you’re looking for forest fun, download the activities below:
- Build a Bark Quilt by Forests Ontario
- Listen to the Sounds of Spring by Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Meet Ontario’s Bats: Bat box plans, bookmark and origami activity by the Toronto Zoo
- Nature Activity by Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Nature Hunt by Eco-Spark
- Tree ID Wordsearch by Focus on Forests
- Tree Wheel activity sheet or Tree Bee identification tool by Forests Ontario
- Wreck This Nature Journal or Gratitude checklist by Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
We want to hear from you! Tell us what you think of your Discover Your Forest kit for a chance to enter a draw for a $100 grocery gift card! Survey closes January 12, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. View full contest details.
Frequently Asked Questions
I missed out on the opportunity to get a kit. Will they be made available again?
More Discover Your Forest Kits will be available soon. The best way to be notified is to sign up for our Greening e-Newsletter or by following @yorkregiongovt on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Subscribe to the Greening E-mail List
York Region’s Greening E-newsletter is full of inspiring at-home and self-guided outdoor activities, information on your York Regional Forest, low-cost tree planting programs for your property and much more.
Enter your name, email and the municipality you live in below to subscribe to York Region’s Greening e-newsletter.
03/31/2022 – Discover the York Regional Forest this Spring
12/09/2021 – Fun in the Forest this Winter
06/10/2021 – Adventure Awaits in the York Regional Forest
03/18/2021 – Step Into Spring!
08/12/2020 – Season's Greetings!
09/14/2020 – National Forest Week Turns 100!
07/23/2020 – Get outside this summer!
05/19/2020 – Celebrating Spring Online
Check out York Region’s partner Events and Resources:
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority resources
- Oak Ridges Trail Association hikes
- Rouge National Urban Park at Home Activities
- York Region Food Network
- Forests Ontario Education Resources
- Local Enhancement & Appreciation of Forests (LEAF) events
- Evergreen events