Market Rent with Housing York
Many community housing providers offer both market rent and subsidized housing. Market rent is where the tenant pays the full rent for the unit and rent typically increases each year (similar to what you would pay a landlord in the private sector).
Market rent units are not subsidized. Community housing providers cannot give rent subsidies to market rent tenants unless the tenant has reached the top of York Region’s subsidized housing waitlist. For more information about subsidized housing in York Region please visit Applying for Subsidized Housing.
Information on Market Rentals
Community housing providers are located throughout York Region. Most community housing providers offer market rentals to the public. These units are not filled from the subsidized housing waiting list. If you are interested in these market rentals you can find more information on the Housing Locations page.
The Regional Municipality of York owns an affordable housing corporation called Housing York Inc.
HYI Market Rent Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a waitlist?
Vacancies are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no waitlist for Housing York market rent units.
How many market rent units does Housing York have?
Housing York has a total of 3,027 rental housing units in 37 properties across York Region. Of these 37 properties, 16 offer market rent. Most seniors’ buildings offer only subsidized rentals.
How much is market rent?
The rent you would pay is the current market rate for the unit. Current market rates depend on many factors including location and size of the unit.
I am interested in Housing York’s market rent accommodations, what are the next steps?
If you are interested in Housing York market rent accommodations you can use the subscriber form below to provide us with your email. An email will be sent to you when there is a vacancy fitting the preferences you choose. The email will include more information about unit viewings and the rental process. If you have difficulty completing the subscriber form you can call Access York at 1-877-464-9675.
Access more Market Rent Frequently Asked Questions.
What is the HYI Market Rental Process?
Housing York does not maintain a waiting list for market rentals. Instead, Housing York uses a subscriber’s list to communicate with people who are interested in market rentals. Market rent units are in high demand and there is a limited number of market rent units for lease. For this reason, Housing York fills vacancies on a first come, first served basis.
The market rent vacancy process is as follows:
- When a market unit is available for rental, an email is sent to individuals on the subscriber list. The email provides information about the available unit such as unit size, building/townhome location, amenities and rental rate
- Subscribers are directed to respond to the email if they are interested in the available unit. The email will also request the respondent to complete an offer to lease and confirm income information, a landlord reference (or an explanation if you don’t have a rental history) and consent to a credit verification
- Housing York contacts the first respondent who includes an offer to lease in their email response
- When the individual provides the necessary information, a unit viewing appointment is scheduled
- If Housing York does not hear back within 48 hours or if the first respondent does not qualify or is no longer interested, Housing York will contact the next respondent
- This process is repeated until the vacancy is filled
If you are interested in getting information about market rental opportunities with Housing York, please use the subscriber form below to provide us with your e-mail.
If you need help filling out the following form, please contact Access York at 1-877-464-9675.
*Accessible unit available