Applying for Employment and Financial Assistance
York Region is connecting residents to resources, services, programs and support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Federal and Provincial supports are also available. Please visit our COVID-19 Community Supports page for details.
Ontario residents may be able to get employment and financial support through York Region if they:
- Live in York Region
- Are willing to participate in employment workshops, volunteer and/or upgrade their job skills
- Have a proven financial need
Students ages 16 and 17 attending school full time can apply through a trustee, through their school guidance counsellor or by contacting Access York.
How to Apply
New Centralized Intake for Ontario Works
If you are applying for assistance and meet any of the following criteria, you will continue to have applications completed by Access York:
- An adult providing temporary care for a child who is in financial need and not your dependent
- Under the age of 18
- Require a translator to complete an application for social assistance
- Applying for discretionary benefits including funeral applications
- In an emergency defined as:
- Affected by COVID-19
- Evicted from home
- Worried about personal safety
- In an abusive relationship
- Entering a shelter
- Affected by fire, flood or another natural disaster
- Waiting for refugee status
Telephone applications are accepted from Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 3:30 pm and may take approximately 45 minutes to complete. Access York will also support customers by providing immediate supports and referrals to programs and services.
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
TTY: 1-866-512-6228 or 905-895-4293
(for deaf and hard of hearing)
If your application does not fall into any of the above categories please apply online through the link below or call the Intake and Benefits Administration Unit (IBAU) at 1-888-999-1142 (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
To answer the questions, you will need specific information about you and the family members in your home. See below for the type of information you will need before starting the application. You will be contacted by a caseworker from your local Ontario Works office within four business days of submitting your application. This does not include weekends and holidays.
Information you Need to Provide
When you apply, be sure to have the following information ready:
- Birth certificate
- Social Insurance Number (SIN) card
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card
- Immigration/sponsorship information if applicable
- Full address including postal code
- Cost of rent or mortgage
- Cost of utilities (gas, hydro, water)
- Current landlord’s name and address
- Address history for the past 12 months
- Employment history for the past 24 months
- Most recent monthly bank statement
- Any sources of income
- Assets (vehicle, RRSP's, etc.)
Attending your Application Review Appointment
Bring all of your documents with you when you go to your Application Review Appointment. Staff review all documents to decide if you qualify for financial assistance and identify support programs you might also find helpful.
You need to bring your spouse and any dependents over 18 years of age with you to the Application Review Appointment.
If you need an interpreter, Ontario Works may provide one for you. Contact your Ontario Works team or Access York for more information.