Child Care and Early Years workforce funding strategy
The early years are an important time for children to develop the emotional, social and cognitive skills needed to become lifelong learners. Early Childhood Educators (ECEs) play a major role in designing and implementing environments to help kids reach their full potential.
ECEs are crucial to building healthy communities because they support all children and families by inspiring young minds through learning, love and laughter. ECEs foster a sense of community outside of the home, which builds trust and strengthens relationships.
Thank you to all early learning and child care professionals for creating access to meaningful environments for children and families in York Region. Your commitment to building the foundation of early learning and supporting healthy child development will enhance the future of our communities.
It all starts with you!
York Region Workforce Funding campaign for Early Childhood Educators
To celebrate the important role of ECEs in our communities and highlight why we need more passionate and dedicated educators in the field, York Region is launching a multi-platform marketing campaign to promote the Child Care and Early Years Workforce Funding strategy.
Throughout the winter, promotional messaging about the importance of early childhood education will be shared on social media, buses and bus shelters, and even on the big screen in movie theatres in York Region.
We look forward to spreading the important message that ECEs are the heart of our communities and make a meaningful difference in the lives of children and families every day, as well as sharing resources and supports for ECEs entering or currently in the field. We encourage you to interact with and share this messaging on your platforms.
If you have any questions, please send an email to [email protected]
About Child Care and Early Years Workforce Funding
The Child Care and Early Years Workforce Funding strategy is a one-time federal investment in workforce funding. The strategy will be aligned with the following key objectives:
- Sustain existing workforce to ensure a stable and high-quality child care system
- Enhance access to opportunities that promote retention and recruitment, including professional development, training and qualification upgrade programs
- Grow the number of qualified staff in the workforce to increase access to care for families
- Attract and support the development of a diverse workforce to reflect the children and families accessing programs
Funding is available until June 30, 2023* for eligible staff and home child care providers in licensed child care (centre-based and home-based) and EarlyON Child and Family Centres in York Region to participate in professional development, training and qualification upgrade programs, as well as mentorship opportunities for ECE students and/or staff.
To learn more about the Child Care and Early Years Workforce Funding strategy, please visit york.ca/ELCCtraining
*See the questions and answers document for submission deadlines.
Early Childhood Educator Bursary Program with Seneca College
Now is a great time to start or continue your Early Childhood Education post-secondary studies at Seneca College! Bursary opportunities are currently available in partnership with York Region, the Province of Ontario and Government of Canada under the new Canada–Ontario Early Childhood Workforce Agreement, which provides “one-time federal funding to support the retention and recruitment of a high-quality childcare and early years workforce.”
Please visit the Seneca College program links below for more information on the programs and funding available.
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) Diploma Full-Time Studies
- Early Childhood Education Accelerated (ECYA) Full-Time
- Early Childhood Education Accelerated (ECYAC) Part-Time Studies courses
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) Diploma Part-Time Studies
- Early Childhood Education - Resource Consulting Graduate Certificate (Continuing Education)
- Early Childhood Education Administration Graduate Certificate (Continuing Education)
For funding opportunities applicable to other colleges in Ontario, visit ecegrants.on.ca
Becoming an Early Childhood Educator
Please see the following resources and supports available to support you on your journey to becoming an Early Childhood Educator:
- College of Early Childhood Educators
- What to expect from a career as an Early Childhood Educator - Ontario Colleges
- Financial grants for early childhood education programs
Pathways to becoming an Early Childhood Educator
- Training and Supports for Early Learning and Child Care Professionals
- Home Child Care
- Merci à tous les éducateurs de la petite enfance