In York Region, the senior’s population is expected to double over the next thirty years. By 2051, close to one in four (23%) residents will be 65 or older. Seniors are a diverse group. They are healthier, living longer and continue to work past retirement compared to previous generations. There is also a growing number of seniors over the age of 75 that are experiencing more chronic conditions and complex needs. York Region is dedicated to fostering healthy aging where seniors can continue to live, work and age in strong, caring, safe communities.
The York Region Seniors Strategy was approved in 2016 to better define York Region’s role in supporting seniors. The strategy guided York Region’s actions and advocacy efforts and defined its role in supporting seniors to ensure resources were directed where they were most needed. The strategy identified partnerships and brought together key players to address issues related to the needs of seniors.
Renewing our Plan for Seniors
York Region is taking steps to assess and renew the Seniors Strategy to ensure it reflects current needs and future opportunities to support seniors.
As our communities have grown and changed over the past few years, we have reached out to York Region seniors, pre-seniors, caregivers and community partners to help update our plan for seniors. Results from these engagements are posted in a What You Said report that can be found on york.ca/PlanForSeniors.
Feedback and experiences from the engagements combined with current and emerging research, and lessons learned from the original strategy will inform a proposed 2023-2027 York Region Plan to support Seniors.
Our renewed plan will build on the successes of the first five years and together with our partners, the proposed plan will be presented to York Regional Council in Fall 2023 for approval.
Visit york.ca/PlanForSeniors to sign up to receive updates about the work underway to renew our plan for seniors.
- York Region Seniors Strategy Refresh (June 24, 2021)
- Forecast for Long-Term Care and Housing Implications (November 19, 2020)
- York Region Submission to the Ontario Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission (January 28, 2021)
- Memo to Minister Cho: York Region Response (September 26, 2019)
- 2018 York Region Seniors Strategy Performance Update (September 2019)
- York Region Seniors Strategy Update (April 2018)
- York Region Seniors Strategy (November, 2016)
- Seniors Strategy Update - July 2018 (July, 2018)
- Getting Better With Age
- Seniors Finances in York Region
- Seniors Health in York Region
- Seniors Population Data in York Region
- Aging in Place in York Region
- Staying Safe and Connected in York Region