Housing Solutions: A place for everyone
York Region’s 10-year Housing and Homelessness Plan
Since 2014, York Region’s 10-Year Housing and Homelessness Plan has provided a roadmap to help ensure residents have access to a range of housing options and services at all ages and stages of their lives.
Phase 2 Plan: 2019 to 2023
In October 2019, York Regional Council approved phase two of the Region’s 10-year plan. To build on accomplishments from phase one and respond to current needs and challenges, the updated plan includes new goals for 2019 to 2023 to:
- Increase the supply of affordable and rental housing
- Help people find and keep housing
- Strengthen the housing and homelessness system
York Region will work closely with its partners to make progress on the goals and objectives over the five years of the plan.
York Region continued to make significant progress toward the goals and objectives set out in Housing Solutions Phase 2 in 2021, while also rapidly responding to changing federal and provincial direction and supporting residents to find and keep housing during a public health emergency. Key actions included:
- Presenting a draft Regional Official Plan to Council to allow enhanced intensification, density and complete community requirements to direct substantial new growth in housing to areas well-served by transit and close to community, health and other services
- Continuing work to expand the community housing portfolio, with construction continuing for 265 new units in the City of Markham, and procurement of a construction partner for 97 units in the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville.
- Addressing the housing needs of 329 applicants from the subsidized housing wait list, including enrolling 95 households in the Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit program
- Expanding the Community Paramedicine for Long-Term Care pilot program to include approximately 500 clients receiving ongoing heath care supports at seniors’ community housing sites
- Conducting a Point-in-Time Count of people experiencing homelessness in York Region in partnership with United Way Greater Toronto. Information from this count will be used to enhance housing stability prevention, life stabilization services and inform future program planning
- Establishing multi-sectoral Community Safety and Well-Being Community Action Tables to collaborate locally to address priority risks, including housing stability
In June 2022, Council approved a workplan outlining how the Region will continue work with partners to develop and implement affordability strategies and help people find and keep housing in 2023.
Phase 2: 2019 to 2023
Phase 1: 2014 to 2018
Housing Solutions: A Place for Everyone – Phase 1 covered the five years between 2014 and 2018 and set out 47 actions to address housing supply and the housing and homelessness system in York Region.